Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Turkey Strut

Ready to run!
Ok.... its only a few weeks since Thanksgiving.... but I wanted to post about my Turkey Strut.  I have not run a road race since I was in High School.  And even then there wasn't a lot of running.  It could probably be said that I walked Cross Country instead of ran Cross Country the one year I was on the team.  But those were different days.

Since then, I've taken my health and my diet more seriously.  I lost 30lb and picked up a serious exercise bug.  Unfortunately, this part of my life has taken a bit of a backseat to motherhood but I'm running when I can.  The YMCA daycare freaked me out so I have not headed back to Pump Class, but, with the help of babysitters, my husband and my treadmill, I find time to work out as I am able.

I have been trying to run a 5K road race for a couple of years and somehow I always get "5K-itis".  The night before I get sick, the morning of the race its pouring rain or I get called into work.  I ended up cancelling my run again and again.  So here I am, ready and freaking willing to run this race come what may. 

Go Mommy Go!
And of course, Thursday morning, its in the low 30s out when I am getting ready to run.  Trying not to mentally freak out (but not having much success), I laced up my tennis shoes, checked my iPod and filled up my water bottle.  Craig and Libby came to cheer me on because we decided it was too cold to run with Libby.  Plus, there was a little bit of me that wanted to run this for myself.  I knew hands down I could run it with Craig pacing me and encouraging me.  I wanted to do this for myself and by myself. 

There were a couple of moments of panic as I saw everyone else in their proper weather running equipment and realized I forgot my running watch.  Basically, I just told myself to suck it up, turn up the music and run.

In the last 1/4 mile
And I did!!! I completed the 5K - goal #1 accomplished!!!!!

My goal time was under 35 minutes.  As I crossed the Finish Line I saw I had finished in UNDER 30 MINUTES!!!!! Good gracious its a miracle!!! How did that happen?!?!? I have never run that fast in my life!!!! I ran that race over 15 minutes faster than I EVER ran it in high school and I'm over 30 and have a baby.  I am proud of myself and glad to have my little exercise bug back.... maybe a 10K in the spring.... maybe a Disney Half Marathon in the future???

No comments: